Free & Reduced Meals

  • Who can get free meals?

    All children in households receiving benefits from FoodShare, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or W-2 Cash Benefits, can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

    STOP! If you have received a letter from us stating that your child has qualified for free or reduced meals through DIRECT CERTIFICATION, do not complete the application. Please complete both sides of the Sharing Information With Other Programs form. This form enables your student's information to be shared with other programs and to receive free or reduce school/athletic fees. Do let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION letter you received.

    Free & Reduced Online Application   




    Do I need to fill out an application for each child attending Big Foot High School?

    No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced-price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household, regardless of age or school. A separate application will be needed if you have another child attending another shcool. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to:

    Brenda Utesch

    c/o Big Foot High School
    PO Box 99
    Walworth, WI 53184


    Can foster children get free meals?

    Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals.  Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

    Can homeless, runaway, or migrant children get free meals?

    Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals.  If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call our dean of students to see if they qualify.

    Doug Parker
    District Administrator
    (262) 394-4501 

    Can children enrolled in a Head Start program receive free meals?

    Yes, children who are enrolled in a federally-funded Head Start program, or a comparable state-funded Head Start Program or pre-kindergarten program using identical or more stringent eligibility criteria than the federal Head Start program or an Even Start program.

    Who can get reduced-price meals?

    Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines, shown on this application.

    Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?

    Please read the letter carefully and follow the instructions.  Call Brenda Utesch Food Service Director at (262) 394-4418 or email if you have questions.

    My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?

    Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

    I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?

    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals.  Please fill out an application.

    Will the information I give be checked?

    Yes, and we may also ask you to send written proof.

    If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?

    Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

    What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?

    You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to:

    Doug Parker
    District Administrator
    (262) 394-4501

    Big Foot High School
    PO Box 99
    Walworth, WI 53184

    May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

    Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

    Who should I include as members of my household?

    You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

    What if my income is not always the same?

    List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

    We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income?

    If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

    My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income?

    No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn’t received before s/he was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income.  Contact your child’s school for more information.

    My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

    To find out how to apply for FoodShare or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-362-3002.

    Additional Questions
    If you have other questions or need help, call our District Administrator, Doug Parker at (262) 394-4501